Day 1: We hit the road at 4:30 a.m. on Monday morning heading North to Rochester, NY. Lilly did surprisingly well in the car. We had to put her in her "big girl" car seat for this trip, so she had a bit harder time falling asleep in it since it's more upright. Here she is sleeping in the car...her head propped with burp clothes and blankets. Her neck still looks a little uncomfortable to me.
Day 2:
I'm pretty tired from the night before (Geoff's not, he snored through the whole night) but we're up and eating the continental breakfast at the Hampton Inn we were staying at. I'm sitting there trying to enjoy my biscuits and mentally prepare myself for another 8-10 hours of driving, only to have some guy at the coffee pot look at me and say, "you've got your baby up pretty early this morning" with one of the rudest tones I've ever heard from a stranger. Ummm, yeah I do...we're on a road trip...what's it your business anyways? I can only think that he was in a room next to us and was kept awake throughout the night because of Lilly. Why else would someone say that?
So with that we hit the road; making a pit stop first to buy me some Dramamine. Let me tell you, that stuff makes you t.i.r.e.d. Everything was going good until we hit DC trafffic...ugh, that stuff sucks! I could never live there and deal with that commute. Finally Geoff cut across an "Emergency Vehicle Only" path and got us in to the HOV lane that was smooth sailing (we counted Lilly as our third person).
We took Lilly to meet her Great Grandma Lunz and then went to a real pumpkin patch. We had a blast. Geoff got to buy more real maple syrup and I got to try frozen custard for the first time. Lilly had such a fun time visiting her Great Grandma and at the pumpkin patch! The pumpkin patch had an apple orchard too and there were apples literally the size of Lilly's head...I've never seen apples so big in all my life!
Day 4:
We enjoyed lunch with Great Grandma Lunz and then relaxed the rest of the day until Grama Pat's flight got in.
Day 5:
We went and had a 4-generation photo taken of Great Grandma, Grama Pat, Geoff and Lilly. Then we found out that Geoff's cousin Danny had Swine Flu. Not wanting to risk getting sick, we packed up to leave the next day. We had planned to go on a wine tour the next day, but since we were leaving we stopped at a liquor store to stock up on some Bully Hill wine. We also had to stop at Andy's Candies to get our sponge candy fix!
Day 6:
We hit the road at 4:30 a.m. to make our way to North Carolina to visit Geoff's brother Jason. On our way there we got a call from Geoff's Aunt Ann letting us know that Danny didn't have Swine Flu after all, he had Strep Throat...boo for having to leave early! We made it to Jason's house and were welcomed with a delicious steak dinner. There's nothing like a good steak after eating fast food on the road.
Day 7:
We headed to the NC state fair to enjoy the day with Jason and Cristy. Lilly had a good time even though she couldn't ride any of the rides. We got to see lots of live stock and a pig race...yes, a pig race. It was a first for us all! I also ate the best hush puppies ever. No, not from some gross carny stand. They had some good food vendors there, and I was actually able to buy the mix to bring home with us. Geoff and Jason also relived their "glory days" for a minute when they came upon a pitching booth. Both of them did pretty good. I think Geoff's fastest pitch, without warming up, was 68 or 70 MPH. Uncle Jason had lots of fun with Lilly and wasted no time spoiling her. He was sneaking her tastes of fudge while he was holding her. That's what uncles are for, right?
Day 8: We left NC and headed home for Debary. I had a really good time on the trip, but I can't tell you how happy I was to be home and out of the car.
No comments:
Post a Comment