This morning Lilly woke up at 5:30 am (a little earlier than her normal nursing time), but I went in anyways. She was acting a little odd after nursing - squirming and trying to sit up. Normally she just passes out after nursing and I'll rock her for a little bit, so I figured maybe she was uncomfortable and just wanted to lay back down.
After I went back to bed I could still hear her on the monitor, kind of fussing and squirming in her crib off and on. Then I heard her poo. I went in to check on her and she was on her belly squishing her face in to her mattress still acting like she was trying to get comfy. I decided to change her diaper so when I went to pick her up I smelt spit up. I didn't think much of it and thought maybe she had a wet burp. Then I picked her up and felt that it was soaked. So I laid her down on her changing table and as soon as I did, my poor baby threw up everywhere! I turned her on her side so she wouldn't aspirate and as soon as she was finished she just plopped her head back down...poor thing!
Anyone who knows Lilly, knows that she is very active and doesn't care for laying on her changing table - even for middle of the night blow out changes. But this morning she was actually falling back asleep as I changed her diaper and jammies - I knew she was sick. So after I got her changed I went to rock her and she got all squirmy again so I went to lay her down (after changing her sheets) and as soon as I stood up she threw up again. I started to get really nervous because I knew she was sick and I've never had to deal with a baby actually throwing up. So I laid a bunch of towels on her floor and would just sit her up every time she needed to throw up. Poor thing was so exhausted from throwing up that she just wanted to lay her head back in it, hence the reason I would sit her up and hold her (I was catching her throw up in a designated cloth, please don't think I just let her vomit everywhere and then lay in it like some animal at a pet store!) It got to the point where she was just dry heaving and I could feel her little tummy muscle tighten - I just felt so helpless.
Finally the on call nurse called back and she was so nice and calming, and gave great advice! She told me to let Lilly sleep if she was falling back asleep after vomiting, but to put a heating pad on her belly to help relax the muscles. When she "woke up" for the day we gave her a baking soda bath to help calm her belly and relax the muscles even more. She had to sit in it for 30 minutes and then she started to get drowsy again so we got her dressed and she fell asleep with the heating pad on her belly again. She took a good nap and woke up around 1:00 starving. Her poor belly was flat - no cute little pot belly to be seen. The nurse told me that she was allowed to drink if it had been at least 2 hours since she last threw up, but to only give her a little at a time to make sure she could keep it down and doesn't over fill her belly and throw up again. Well, Lilly didn't like that idea and fussed every time we made her stop drinking, but slowly she drank a good 10 ounces and was able to keep it down.
She's napping again, so hopefully the throw up is over and we just have to work on getting her rehydrated. I just feel so bad for my little girl!
7 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment