Friday, March 19, 2010

Worst Nightmare

My worst nightmare happened this past Monday - Lilly got really sick. I was on my way to pick her up at my mom's when she called to tell me not to be alarmed by the ambulances that would be outside the house. I immediately asked what was wrong, thinking something happened to my mom. Then she told me Lilly had a seizure. My heart stopped. I couldn't get to my mom's fast enough (and yes, I ran a red light). All I wanted to do was hold her in my arms and make her better.

She had a febrile seizure from a spike in temperature; a very sudden spike in temperature because she wasn't running a fever earlier. When I got there my mom was holding her and she was so out of it...kinda groggy, not her normal bubbly self. She didn't even reach out for me when I walked up to her at first.

Of course I was trying to call Geoff the whole time to figure out what to do about taking her to the hospital via ambulance or by car. Of course he didn't have his phone on him this one time! I decided to go by ambulance because her temp. had started to rise again (that won't be the last $800 we spend on her, right?) and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

We got to the hospital and she got Motrin and Tylenol (can you believe ambulances don't carry those drugs but they carry ones that'll stop you from having a heart attack?! Just doesn't make sense to me). The ER doctor told us that she had an ear infection. Come to find out, she doesn't.

The next day we had a follow up with her pedi and she said her ears were perfectly clear and that she had some sort of virus. I'm a little irritated with the ER doc to be honest now. But, that's why I LOVE her pedi! She's always been on point with any diagnoses with Lilly. She also helped calm my nerves about the seizure letting me know that it's not related to any type of seizure disorder or anything. It just means that Lilly has a lower threshold for seizures and we'll have to give her motrin and tylenol for low grade fevers, instead of letting it run it's course.

Come to find out, she came down with Roseola. When I was changing her out of her jammies yesterday she had suddenly broken out in a flat rash all over her trunk. I looked it up on the internet and febrile seizures happen in 10 - 15% of infants who have Roseola.

Needless to say, she definitely took one of my nine lives away! But I'm so thankful that she's ok and that we have a great family and group of friends who were praying for her the whole time!

No comments:

Post a Comment