Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Not the message I wanted to hear...

I got home from work today and checked the messages on our answering machine, and what do I hear? There's a message from my OB office stating that my doctor is leaving their practice, so they've rescheduled me with another doctor. WTF?! Three weeks from my due date, I'm going to have to "get to know" a new doctor and feel comfortable enough to have them deliver my daughter?

I'm really upset about this. I loved my OB office because there was only one doctor, my doctor, who actually delivered babies. All the other doctors at the practice just do the other "womanly" stuff. There was no chance that anyone else would be on call the day/night I go into labor. I knew that my doctor, who I've been seeing for the last 9 months, would be there no matter what, and that made me feel so comfortable with the labor process. Now, I have no idea who this new doctor is that I'm going to meet tomorrow. I don't know if they're a part of a different practice that my OB office refers to, or what. Now Geoff and I have to sit down and make a new list of questions that we'd already discussed with our old doctor, so I can ask the new doctor at my appointment tomorrow.
Go figure Geoff is on shift tomorrow too. One of the few appointments I've made on his shift, and this happens. I really want him to be there. Having worked around doctors for a very long time, he's able to feel out a doctor in no time, picking up on their bedside manner etc. I really trust his first impression of doctors.

What if I don't like the doctor I meet tomorrow? What do I do then, find a new office? Do OB offices even take patients who are this far along in pregnancy?

I think that the biggest part of the whole situation that irritates me is the actual message itself. The receptionist says, "if this is ok just show up for your appointment. If it's not, call our office back and we can reschedule your appointment." Reschedule with who? No one else in your office delivers babies anymore you idiot!! And, why would you leave me the message at home so I get it after your office is closed and can't talk to anybody about it? You all have my cell and work phone numbers on file. I think they could have had the decency to call me and talk to me instead of just leaving me a message. Do they not understand? A message like that would leave any pregnant woman who's three weeks away from delivering in a tizzy. I'll post again tomorrow after I get back from my appointment and let you know how it goes. Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment