Yesterday I met with the new doctor who will be taking over all of my old doctor's patients. Here's how the day went...
I wake up after getting virtually no sleep because all I was thinking about was this whole doctor mess, and when I was sleeping I was dreaming about how the appointment was going to go! After I came out of my morning grog, I immediately call the office to find out what the deal was with my old doctor and who this new "Dr. K" is. The office manager spoke with me and said that my old doctor just up and left the practice the day prior with no notice, etc. He told them that he didn't have any plans, he was just leaving. I still don't get it. She also reassured me that they weren't referring me to another practice, but in fact they had just hired this new doctor to their staff last week. (I'm thinking this may have been an issue with my old doctor, but I don't understand why) She then tells me that "Dr. K" has been practicing in the area for 20-plus years and just decided to make the move to private practice after having worked in a hospital as a staff OB. She told me that he has five children of his own and is positive that I will absolutely love him. I admit, she did calm me down and made me feel more comfortable about the appointment ahead.
I get to my appointment and do all the typical stuff with the nurse and my mom and I are waiting in the room for "Dr. K" to come in. After speaking with the office manager, I'm expecting some old, grey-haired man to walk in. I hear the tap on the door and in walks this good looking guy who looks like he's my brother's (Matt) age. So what do you think happens? You're right if you guess that my mind immediately races with thoughts of how the office manager lied to me, that there's no way he has 20-plus years of experience or five kids, and that this guy is fresh out of his residency and there's no way that he's delivering my baby!
After talking with him, my mind calms down and I find out that the office manager didn't lie to me, but instead he just has really good genes. He really does have five kids, ranging in age from 18 - 2! And thanks to my detective mom, we find out through more conversation that he is best friends with the doctor who delivered Tyler - which also reconfirms his age since Tyler's doctor is now retired.
After asking him all of my questions about his philosophies/policies on pregnancy/labor related issues, I feel very comfortable with him. I actually prefer some of his answers over what my old doctor and I had decided on. His personality is very calming, which I think will be good for when I'm in labor. Overall the appointment went very well and I am comfortable with the idea of a new doctor. Now I want Geoff to meet him and see what he thinks...
7 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment