Thursday, April 2, 2009

Happy One Month!

I've got a few seconds to post this while Lilly is napping before I have to go pump, eat breakfast and fold laundry that's been sitting in the laundry room for the last 2 days.

This past Saturday Lilly turned one month. We can't believe how fast she is growing and how fast time is going by! We took her for her one month check-up at the pediatricians yesterday. Good news is she is healthy and we can quit giving her the Zantac because she doesn't really have reflux...she's just a happy spitter-upper. Lilly now weighs 10lbs. 10.5oz. and is 22.5 inches long.


The not-so-good news, the dr. confirmed that Lilly is mildly colic...boo! I guess it's good that she's not full blown colic, but I guess it makes it harder to deal with now that she has the "colic" label on her. Since she's not fussy every day, all day we just thought she was more "high needs". For me it was easier to deal with before I heard the word colic and Lilly in the same sentence. But now I have a little better understanding of why she's acting the way she does. The dr. explained it to us by saying her nervous system is super heightened and she's to the point where everything is getting on her last nerve and she's irritated but doesn't know why. We've found that little things, like her activity mat, will keep her distracted from feeling like that, but only temporarily...then it's on to find out what she wants next.

Lilly also sleeps a lot during the day which was a concern, but the dr. told us to let her sleep. One, she needs it to keep growing and two, when she's sleeping she's not feeling irritated so she's peaceful. The dr. also told us that colic babies tend to be happier than other babies once their colic phase is over and that they are supposed to have higher IQs when they get older. I guess the light at the end of the tunnel is that we only have 2 more months to go and this should be over!

Lilly was worn out at the end of our photo shoot. She's crying or has her paci in all of the pictures she's awake in, so here's our little girl while she's peaceful.


This one's just for fun. It's our "Yo Mom, what's up?!" picture. I took it last week when Lilly and I went out and it was a little chilly.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I know colic is like, the dreaded word to new parents, but I would MUCH rather have a colicky baby than a high-needs baby, because colic goes away, but high-needs is forever. I was terrified when I thought Holder was high-needs and when my research and talking to other moms pretty much convinced me he's just a little colicky, it was like the angels sang!

    And for what it's worth, I was super colicky as a baby and I think I am pretty smart ;) My parents always say I was a super easy child to raise, and I was a very happy child. So I think Lilly will be the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good way to look at it. I don't want her to grow up too fast, but if we could fast forward to 3 months that would be great. Yes, I think you're pretty smart...hopefully it holds true for Lilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW- she looks so much like Geoff in that first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I think she's starting to look more and more like her dad as she gets older.

    ReplyDelete