
This week's SUYL at Kelly's Korner is about proposal stories.
Geoff and I got engaged in February 2005 after dating for four years. Our proposal story actually starts before February though. We had been discussing marriage and what not and had looked at rings together a few times, and I had found two at our local jewler that I fell in LOVE with and told Geoff that I wanted him to choose the final ring. So, what's any girl do after she finds the ring she likes? She takes her best friend to see it! So off we go to the jewler so I can show my best friend Jenn and it's gone. I'll admit that I was a little sad because I just thought there was some other girl out there wearing the ring that I wanted (it's not like they couldn't have ordered another one, right?! haha) So we left and I saw Geoff and told him that my ring was gone in a teasing way. Well, later I found out that he had gone into the jewlers the SAME day and bought it! Can you believe that? What are the odds? And can I tell you how happy I am that we didn't run into each other because up until then I was under the impression that he couldn't afford the ring yet so I had NO idea at all.
So, fast forward to Valentine's weekend 2005. Geoff decides that he wants to go back to St. Augustine for a little getaway because we went to the castle in St. Augustine for one of our first dates. My best friend kept telling me that she thought he was going to propose to me (just like she did at every holiday up until this point) and I kept telling her there was no way he was going to propose to me...he couldn't afford a ring yet.
So we stayed at a cute little B&B and were sitting on the patio overlooking the intercoastal, waiting for our dinner reservation. We began talking about marriage again and getting engaged and he joked with me that if I would take a piece of string as a ring like the girl in Braveheart did, we could get engaged. I laughed like I always did when he told me that. Realizing that I didn't need the "perfect ring" to spend the rest of my life with the man God chose for me, we decided that the next day, on Valentine's Day, we would find a ring in St. Augustine and get engaged. Right after he pulled a ring out of his jacket...and it was my ring! That stinker!
Love it! I got a surprise ring, too.
ReplyDelete