The Friday before Father's Day last year was when I found out I was pregnant. I remember just starring at the test on the bathroom counter and being so excited...we were going to be parents! Geoff was working at the hospital that day and I didn't want to tell him over the phone, so I had to keep the news to myself the whole day. Since it was Father's Day weekend I decided I would tell Geoff by giving him a Father's Day card, so when I got off work I went to Walgreens and picked out the perfect card. Then I was left to sit at home and wait for him to get off work - I was going crazy with all this excitement bottled up in me. Finally the phone rang and I knew it was Geoff telling me he was on his way home and I felt like finally I was going to be able to let it all out, but then he said, "We're going to meet my mom for dinner at Sonny's so I'll just me you there." I said ok, but inside I was saying, "Noooooo, I just want to tell you this already. I'm dying here."
So we went to dinner and I sat there the whole time making sure to watch my every word so nothing would slip out. The night got stretched out even longer when we went to Pat's after dinner so Geoff could look at something; I think the kitchen faucet? It was a little ironic too because she had received some maternity clothes and was handing them down to me. She said, "Keep these for whenever you guys get pregnant." I was smiling and thinking, "if they only knew what I knew right now." It took everything I had not to tell them right then and there, but I wanted it to be something I shared with Geoff first.
Finally we got home! We both got ready for bed and laid down. And there, laying on our mattress in the middle of our living room, amongst all our house renovations, I wished Geoff a Happy Father's day.
7 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment