Friday, June 11, 2010

Show Us Your Life - China Patterns

Today's Show Us Your Life at Kelly's Korner is all about china patterns!

When Geoff and I first got engaged we decided we didn't want to register for china because it just doesn't really suit our lifestyle...and we don't really have the room to display it. But as time went on and it came time to actually register, I decided I did want china. I just felt like while we may not use it as often now, I think (hope) that we'll use it when we are older - when our kids are grown and we get to host family dinners. I also thought that it would be nice to have as something to pass down to our kids, and maybe one day our grandkids, ya know? I guess I can remember using the tea cups from my grandma and great aunts when I was a little girl at my tea parties and it just makes me excited to think that one day I'll have grandkids of my own that will hopefully get to do the same thing (even if we don't use them right now).

So off we went to register, and we settled on this pattern by Mikasa. It's the Cameo Platinum collection. It was a reasonable price for a 5 piece place setting. I knew if we weren't going to use it often I didn't want wedding guests to spend a fortune. I like that the design and color are simple. My philosophy is to use simple, elegant staples (ie: china) and jazz things up with a fun tablescape. That way you can change it up from occasion to occasion!We also have the "completer set" that includes a serving plate, bowl and the creamer & sugar dishes. I can say that we have used 2 of our 10 place settings...once. I made dinner for Geoff one night in celebration of our one year wedding anniversary and wanted to use our china. I know, it's terrible that we've only used them once in the almost five years we've been married, but what did I say earlier? The rest of the settings are packed up in their boxes still and are stored in our laundry room cabinets (because we don't have a china cabinet). I've also made an effort to use it more often by adding it to my 101 in 1001 list - #71: Use China atleast Once a Year.

Our everyday dishes were given to Geoff by his mom when he first got his (now ours) house. They are Pfaltzgraff's Ocean Breeze. While we've had these dishes for going on 8 years, they've held up really well and still look fairly decent. We don't have the coffee cup and saucer, instead she got the BEST giant navy blue mugs that just fit your hand perfectly! I've had so many friends ask if they could buy our mugs from us when they find out she bought them at the outlet store in NY. They are just that good when drinking coffee or sipping hot cocoa :)
And last, we have some fun pasta dishes. I always intend to use these when I make a pasta dish and usually forget to get them out before we make our plates. I'm going to make sure I use them next week because I think they're fun, especially now that Lilly eats off her own plate.

1 comment:

  1. Wow I have seen so many GREAT dishes....Love your pattern. Great blog...Hope you will stop by and read about our Disney Cruise.

    I have a FUN giveaway that I am drawing for on Monday.
    There is more about it on my holiday blog, A Baby Changes Everything!
    http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete