Monday, October 5, 2009

List Update

Here's a quick update on my 101 in 1001 list...

Part-time Job
I found one...yay!! I knew I'd have to find a part-time job once Geoff starts Medic school in January, but given the current economic status I knew it would probably be a tough feat. So I did the only thing I could do, I began praying that the Lord would open an opportunity for me before January. And he did just that!

My path crossed with my old boss at the hospital and she told me that she needed someone to do some freelance work because her main go-to freelancer wasn't available for work anymore. What more could I ask for? The opportunity to work from home at a higher pay rate than any other part-time job I would have found...I'm in!

So far I've done 4 projects for her and it's been working out really well. Initially I was a little nervous because I haven't really written like I used to in a while, and I was nervous about managing my time. But I've been able to work on the projects during naps and after Lilly goes to bed at night so I've been able to juggle my daytime "mom" stuff and "work" stuff pretty well. And I've gotten really positive feedback on all the projects I've submitted so far. I think this is going to work out ideally for us...praise God!

Baby Sign Language
We've been using baby sign language in an attempt to teach Lilly. I've been using this baby sign language site. I like that they show you pretty much step-by-step how to do each sign. Plus, I didn't want to buy a book because I'm not sure how well Lilly will embrace it, so I didn't want to waste the money.

I'll admit that it's hard to be consistent with the signs, especially on days when I'm doing all I can just to get her fed and bathed. Initially she would just look at us and smile or laugh, but I can tell that she's starting to put two and two together now (about a month later) when we do the signs. She still laughs, but I think she knows that the signs mean something, so I guess that motivates me a little more to stick with it. I'll mark this completed on my list when Lilly actually does one of the signs.

So far we've started off with 4 signs: "hungry", "more", "all done", and "milk". We felt like these would be most beneficial when it comes time for Lilly to use these signs to better communicate with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment