Sunday, March 15, 2009

Relaxing Times

A few quick pics for your viewing pleasure:

Early morning nap with daddy.
Another sleepy day, recouping from my head cold.
Enjoying my swing.





5 comments:

  1. So does she like her swing now? That will be a blessing for you I think...I know it is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She will tolerate it now for about 10 minutes. I'm trying to work her in to it for longer periods of time so she'll grow to like it. When do you normally put Holder in his swing? I think sometimes we wait too long when she's already too worked up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Dave just saw your post and said, "Oh yeah; sleeping with your glasses on. That's how you know you're really tired." This is coming from a glasses-wearer too.

    We don't put Holder in his swing when he's too fussy or he'll only get worse. Maybe if he's mildly fussy he'll be okay.

    Normally in the mornings after we wake up he eats then is alert so we'll do tummy time and the activity mat or read a book. Once I see he's getting tired I either put him in his swing for a nap (usually two or three hours- yes!) or we leave to do whatever we're doing that day.

    Sometimes he goes back in the swing for an afternoon nap, but that one generally doesn't last as long so usually I just hold him or put him in his bassinet/PNP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot to ask what speed you're using? Holder likes between 3 and 4. If he's fussy we'll go to 4 or 4.5 until he calms down. So maybe Lilly will also like a faster speed...

    A warning to you though since you have a spit-up prone baby like we do. We can't put Holder in the swing until about 45 min-1 hour after he's eaten or he'll like projectile vomit his meal up. It's happened twice and not only does the clean up suck but I feel bad for him (although he doesn't seem upset). So a lot of times I'll start him off at 1 1/2 or 2 until I see he's not gurggly and then I'll crank it up.

    Who knew the smallest things about parenting would be such a big deal?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mean to interject, but I actually asked the same thing of one of our nurses when my little one was teeny. I was told to start at the lowest speed and then work up to the faster ones as she got better control of her head. The faster you start them before they have that control, the more stress it puts on their little developing neck muscles. So I started at the lowest speed when she was a few weeks old and then put an extra receiving blanket (rolled up) around her head to help keep her still. She's almost 8 months and is just now at the 4th speed on her swing, which is different from the Graco one in the picture. (Hers is a Fisher Price.)

    Obviously babies are all different, but this is what worked for my little one. The slower speeds are also similar to being rocked by mommy, so it may help with napping.

    Sorry to interject again - I hope this is helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete